Images Add Impact
Image of different flowers indicating that an image impacts a page
Ancient Chinese said that a picture is worth a thousand words. And with all the information out here it is best to just see an image sometimes.
If you pick an image and it doesn’t connect with the content in page it confuses the readers.
Photographs seems more real than illustrations
The right photo puts across a lot of information in small space
Photo of flower.
Photos can inform, convince and evoke emotion.
Photos may be more creditable because some feel the camera doesn’t lie
Choose photos based on criteria
- Is the photo of good quality
- Does photo communicate message you want
- Is it available for use at reasonable price
- Choose photo with wide range of tones
- The advantage of flopping is that you can you the image to point towards the text
Photo shops do things like:
Lighting images, outline edges of photo, adding custom type to photos adding color to photos
Example of an illustration.
- Illustrations can be used to tell or get the whole story
- They can be maps, diagrams, charts or cartoons
- Some likely sources of illustration are yourself, armed with paper, pen/pencil
A talented local kid who is easily bribed by pizza
Clip art books of CDs
Rules of Image Use
Licensed Creative Commons Image
- Don’t jam illustrations together
- Add a variety and contrast to the page by varying the size of images
- Try to pick illustrations that look like they belong together
- Use appropriate images for the page
Cropping- Removal of some of the vertical or horizontal edges of picture
Flopping- Change direction of photo from one side to the other
Silhouetted photos- Potions that are selectively remove
Graham, Lisa. Basis of Design. Canada.2005. Print